Monday, April 19, 2010

Cave man's microwave, who needs 'em

Is it just me or is a BBQ just a really fancy place to make a fire. I was out the other day looking at a few. $499 can buy you some really nice looking stuff. But how does it cook? Is it really any better than that little chef mate for $140? What's that cheap one all about any way, flimsy parts, really ugly sitting next to that all stainless steal Napoleon TR485. But does one really cook better than the next, does money buy you food cooked well? I say no and so I stick with the McKenzie Grill master. My BBQ is a $4.00 clay pot and grill from my smoker. Yes that's right I can cook a roast of lamb to perfection with a flower pot and a stainless steal bowl. What if more people come over? Well I have a few more flower pots I can always fie up. I can grow my tomato's and cook with the same tool. Maybe its because I'm cheap, after all I would love to just turn a nob and have fire some days. Like a cave mans microwave. But like a cave man I keep my micro wave in the garage. I feel so much more pride in my food when I'm able to make something from the beginning, that includes the fire it was cooked on. In the end I think I will always prefer a good charcoal grilled stake on my poor mans cook pit to the $1000 gas griller. They sure do look nice though.

1 comment: