Monday, March 29, 2010

Project Backyard Chicken Day #1



The coop is 3' X 3' with a 3' X 7' run underneath. Total cost looks to be just under $100 but we won't know til it's all done. I had origanally planned to build the coop out of all reused materials I was able to find on my runs and bikes to work but with limited time I was unable too. I also plan to replace the shingles with a living roof.

The plan is to get 3 laying hens this Wednesday for fresh eggs for my family and neighbours. Turns out taking care of chickens really doesn't sound like much work at all. Each chicken should lay 1 egg a day leaving me with more eggs than I'm going to be able to handle after a few weeks. I'm hoping this project is going to get my neighbours involved as well. If they can see how easy and fun having chickens can be maybe they might get their own.




3 comments:

  1. Mike, names for the little darlings?
    An omelet for breakfast yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our neighbor Kathy named one Henrietta, Megan’s choice was Gertrude and I named one Jim. Thanks for the comment Greg...and no omelets yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this coop. It seems like just what 3 chickens would need. It looks moveable, too, which is great.

    ReplyDelete